The City of Taytay is a first class, urban city in the province of Rizal, Philippines. It is currently the third second most populous municipality in Rizal after and Cainta. One of the 14 municipalities of the Province of Rizal. Conurbated with Metro Manila, it is bounded by Cainta on the north, Pasig City and Taguig City on the west, Antipolo City in the East and Angono on the South. It is the "Woodworks and Garments Capital Of the Philippines"
Under Spanish rule, the area occupied by the previous 26 towns of Rizal Province began with the organization of the Provinces of Tondo and La Laguna during the Spanish regime. Some of the towns like Pasig, Parañaque, Taytay and Cainta were already thriving. Tagalog settlements which carried on trade with the Chinese and Arab traders long before the Spanish conquest.
From the reports of the Encomiendas in 1582-83, the Encomiendas of Moron (Morong) was under the jurisdiction of La Laguna and, the Encomiendas of Passi (Pasig), Taitay (Taytay) and Tagui (Taguig) belonged to the Province of Tondo. It was recorded that in 1591, the Encomiendas of Moron and Taitay were under the jurisdiction of the Franciscan Order in the Province of La Laguna; and the Encomiendas of Nabotas (Navotas), Tambobo (Malabon), Tondo, Parañaque, Longalo (Dongalo), Tagui and Pasig were under the jurisdiction of the Augustinians in the Province of Tondo.
In 1853, a new political subdivision was formed. This consisted of the towns of Antipolo, Cainta and Taytay from the Province of Tondo; and the towns of Morong, Baras, Tanay, Pililla, Angono, Binangonan and Jalajala from the Province of La Laguna, with the capital at Morong. This district was later changed to Distrito Politico-Militar de Morong after four years.
In 1860, by virtue of Circular No. 83, dated September 2, 1859, the Province of Tondo became the Province of Manila. All its towns were placed under the administration, fiscal supervision and control of the Governor of the new province.
The town of Mariquina (Marikina) became the capital of the Province of Manila during the tenure of the revolutionary government of Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo. The Province of Morong had for its capital the town of Antipolo for the period 1898-1899, and the town of Tanay for 1899-1900.
On February 6, 1901, the Second Philippine Commission sought to establish civil government in the country through a provincial organization act after the Filipino-Spanish and Filipino-American conflicts.
Wherefore, on June 5, 1901 a historic meeting was held at the Pasig Catholic Church for the organization of a civil government in the Provinces of Manila and Morong, with 221 delegates in attendance. The first Philippine Commission, headed by President William Howard Taft and composed of Commissioners Luke E. Wright, Henry C. Ide, Bernard Moses and Dean C. Worcester, discussed with the Assembly the issue of whether or not to write the Province of Manila with Morong Province, was not self-sufficient to operate as a separate province.
Although the delegates from Morong, Don Hilarion Raymundo and Don Jose Tupas, objected to the proposal, Delegate Don Juan Sumulong of Antipolo strongly advocated the move. After much acrimonious debate and upon the suggestion of Dr.Trinidad H. Pardo de Tavera who accompanied the commission the body agreed on the creation of a new province independent of the Province of Manila. The new province was aptly named after Dr. Jose P. Rizal dubbed as the greatest Malayan that ever lived.
On June 11, 1901, the province of Rizal was officially and legally created by virtue of an Act No. 137 by the First Philippine Commission which during the time was acting as the unicameral legislative body in the island of Luzon.
The new province was composed of twenty-six municipalities, fourteen from the old Province of Manila (Las Piñas, Malabon, Makati, Parañaque, Mandaluyong, San Juan, Navotas, Muntinlupa, Taguig, Pateros, Pasig, Marikina, San Mateo, and Montalban); and 12 from the Politico-Militar District of Morong, (Angono, Baras, Binangonan, Cainta, Antipolo, Cardona, Jalajala, Morong, Pililla, Tanay, Taytay and Teresa). The seat of the provincial government is Pasig.
On 1942, the occupation by the Japanese Imperial Army forces entering the town in Taytay. On 1945, local Filipino soldiers of the pre-war 42nd Infantry Division of the Philippine Commonwealth Army and 4th Infantry Regiment of the Philippine Constabulary was liberated and entering the towns in Taytay to helping the recognized guerrilla fighter units to defeated and attacking Japanese Imperial Army forces during the Southern Luzon Campaign or Southern Tagalog Campaign and ended in World War II under the Japanese Occupation.
On November 7, 1975, by virtue of Presidential Decree No. 824, the 12 towns of Las Piñas, Parañaque, Muntinlupa, Taguig, Pateros, Makati, Mandaluyong, San Juan, Malabon, Navotas, Pasig and Marikina were incorporated into the newly formed Metro Manila Area thereby leaving the remaining 14 towns of San Mateo, Montalban, Cainta, Taytay, Angono, Antipolo, Binangonan, Teresa, Morong, Cardona, Tanay, Baras, Pililla and Jalajala to the Province of Rizal.