Anklam (German pronunciation: [ˈaŋklam]) is a town in the Western Pomerania region of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany. It is situated on the banks of the Peene river, just 8 km from its mouth in the Kleines Haff, the western part of the Stettin Lagoon. Anklam has a population of 14,603 (2005) and was the capital of the former Ostvorpommern district. Since September 2011, it is part of the district Vorpommern-Greifswald.
In the Early Middle Ages, there was an important Scandinavian and Wendish settlement near the present town, now known as Altes Lager Menzlin.
Anklam was founded on the site of an abandoned Wendish fortress during the medieval German Ostsiedlung. First named after the founder Tanglim, it obtained German town law in 1244. In 1283, it became a member of the Hanseatic League. Though the town was small and non-influential compared to other Hanseatic cities, membership brought wealth and prosperity to Anklam.
The decline of Anklam began with the Thirty Years' War, when Swedish and Imperial troops battled almost twenty years for Anklam. Anklam was occupied by imperial forces from 1627 to 1630, and thereafter by Swedish forces. After the war, Anklam became part of Swedish Pomerania in 1648. In 1676 was captured by Frederick William, Elector of Brandenburg, and in 1713 was plundered by soldiers of the Russian Empire.
The southern parts of the town were ceded to the Kingdom of Prussia by the peace of Stockholm in 1720, while the smaller section north of the Peene River remained Swedish. Anklam was thus a divided town until 1815, when all of Western Pomerania became Prussian in the Province of Pomerania.
Anklam was nearly completely destroyed by several bombing raids of the U.S. Airforce in 1943 and 1944 and in the last days of World War II, when the advancing Soviets burned and leveled most of the town. After Prussia and its Pomeranian province were dissolved and most of Pomerania was allocated to Poland under the terms of the Potsdam Conference, Anklam became part of the East German state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. That was soon to be dissolved, too, and Anklam was within the district of Neubrandenburg. The town was rebuilt in the rather uniform socialist style.
After the 1990 reunification of Germany, Anklam became part of the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, re-created at that time.